Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

did propecia help the itch?

Did starting propecia help anyone with getting rid of that itch? Is it stupid to take propecia to help with that since nothing else helps?

Re: did propecia help the itch?

i believe it did to some extent. i would say 80% less itch.

99% disappeared. Went off fin for almost two months, it had started to come back and was itching bad. Started fin again and it went away.

Yeah same here. What is the itch anyway? The dermatologist told me it was mpb related but it happens in the places I lose hair.

So how come it doesn't happen to everyone who loses hair?

By the way, I meant to say the dermatologist said is WASN'T mpb related. I told him it happens in the thinning spot but he said there's no correlation. I knew he was wrong but what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg
    Did starting propecia help anyone with getting rid of that itch? Is it stupid to take propecia to help with that since nothing else helps?

Oh yes, that it did.

Mind you so does head and shoulders, I'm one of those lucky people who suffer from seb derm as well, you're only a hardcore keto user when you've rubbed the stuff round your nose (works a treat though).

I had in insanely bad itch in my crown for months before starting on Fin. Honestly, the itch was worse than the prospect of losing my hair!

Fin fixed the itch probably 95% by month 1. I still have very slight itching from time to time, but it's barely noticeable.

If you have a bad itch, it can be extremely miserable. As long as you tolerate Fin well, I think it's a great treatment option.

Unfortunately most anti-itch shampoos and topical meds only fix skin problems such as fungal issues. The itch you feel, as finfighter said, is inflammation of your hair folicles. These shampoos to little to nothing to treat that.. so you need to treat the DHT problem.

so basically those of us with mpb just have a sensitivity to dht that makes it worse then? Do those with this problem lose it faster or at the same rate?

To my knowledge, the itch doesn't indicate anything. I'm not sure why some guys get it and some don't. You would think it might indicate you have aggressive hair loss, but mine was quite slow moving, and took about 5 years to go from a NW2 to a NW3. The itch just got worse over time, and in the last year for me, it was by far the worst.

All guys with MPB have a sensitivity to DHT. Whatever the mechanism is, our hair follicles decide to start shrinking from DHT. Guys without MPB (damn them) don't react the same to it.

Yeah, there is no scientifically documented reason for the MPB itch. It's very anecdotal...sometimes it might be related to MPB, sometimes it might not. It also varies so much in intensity/frequency that it's hard to document. I would take a guess that only 30-40% of guys with MPB get the itch. Most don't seem to have it.

My "itching" started in 2008, the same year I started losing some hair, and I didn't realize it until winter of 08-09. It kind of stopped for a while, though I knew i had lost some density, then as 2010 approached it started getting worse and worse. Spring of 2010 was terrible for me, the itching on my head at night was so bad I would wake up scratching it. I started fin and it decreased within the first month, then seemed to go away completely by the third month.