Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Working out = hair loss?

should i should stop going to the gym?? Weight lifting facilitates hair loss?? and there i was thinking about all the benefits of excercise ... :@:@:@
    Do i stopp working out now? ive gotten a decent body in 2 years

i want to know if the rumours are true.. do i need to stop working out to slow down my hair loss? Whats the facts here?

Re: Working out = hair loss?

Some people will tell you weight lifting definitely causes hair loss and some will tell you it definitely doesn't.

There have been lots of arguments about this topic here in the past.

My advice is to keep working out. Don't let hair loss take over important aspects of your life.

so there is some definite evidence that its bad for your hair then.. i want more opinions.. i do see alot of bald guys at the gym.. omg.. whats the concensus scientific view? Im taking DHT blocker fin, do u think this will stop any weight training induced hair loss? Or not..

I saw a lot of balding men at a soccer tournament I played in a couple of weeks ago. Omg does playing soccer cause baldness? I also am seeing a lot of men with buzzed hair that are balding, omg does buzzing your hair cause baldness?

Sorry for being sarcastic but working out does not cause hairloss if you don't have it in your genes.
    Bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by ghg
    Sorry for being sarcastic but working out does not cause hairloss if you don't have it in your genes.
    Gotta agree with this, to be honest, I wouldn't see how it would even if you did have it in your genes

guys we are on a HAIR LOSS forum. U can safely assume I have AGA. Male pattern baldness. I am not asking a cause and effect question here, working out does not cause one to be bald. I am asking, does working out accelerate hair loss, what if im on fin will it have an effect and should i stop working out to preserve my hair?

andy^ working out increases testosterone which gets converted into DHT. Apparently working out increases DHT by 30%. Thats what im worried about.

Look man, no one here is going to reassure you that lifting weights doesn't accelerate hair loss.

No one here really knows for sure if it does or doesn't, no matter how much they ramble on about 'DHT'.

You seem pretty worried about it, so just stop working out. Oh and don't have sex or masturbate either, that speeds up hair loss too.

Based on my own personal experience, yes weight lifting can and does cause hairloss. I never took anything at all at the time to mitigate against it (I didn't know it would cause it) so whether doing a couple of the big three helps, maybe. Having said that, if you are pretty much bald anyway, you should be toning up. Nothing worse the a fat bald fella!

^ That's a stupid assumption. It's like saying that not lifting weights causes hairloss because when my hairloss started, I had never lifted weights...
    Bugger.

PeaPoddy in the success stories forum is the most ripped guy on this site. He works out 4 or so times a week and lifts extremely heavy weights. His hair is doing excellent on fin + minox.