Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Masturbation = hair loss?

So I've just read that excessive masturbation (>2-3 times a week) can cause increased levels of DHT in the body leading to hair loss. This is true right? Why wern't we told about this earlier?

If you are already genetically predisposed to hair loss, masturbating can exacerbate and accelerate hair loss right?

Re: Masturbation = hair loss?

people here will probably tell you that there is not a connection.

I'm not so sure myself..

this is a topic that pops up every couple months on this forum. there has not, to my knowledge been any real proof that this is true..no one has before and after pictures of before stopping and after stopping jacking off...i'd be open to the idea if there was some actual visual proof but i've never seen it

UK the Home of the worst HT surgeons in the world

Quote Originally Posted by mothernature
    So I've just read that excessive masturbation (>2-3 times a week) ??
    Sad prick
    *Voice of reason on HLT since 2007*
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS
    I don't need to marry the woman I'll get HM for that. just need to have fun for a month till she finds out, and have a fast turnover rate if she dumps me. If the piece looks good turnover shouldnt b a issue. Just break contact with her & her friends if she has a bigmouth
    it is not your lack of drink, but muscles or face thats the reason. The only reason they'd want you to drink is so you focus on that and dont hit on them I don't even go to partys, at least not till I get more muscle on my arms.

I wouldn't be so sure it does not affect hair at all.
    That DHT theory seems to be logical.
    But we don't need to argue here: everyone can try stopping masturbating and see if it's beneficial for his hair loss or not. Do you want studies? Study on yourself!! Quitting masturbation cannot harm you in any way. Actually, many people who did this feel better, and have more energy. Of course, if you want to do everything possible for stopping MPB. And if you don't have enough will-power to stop masturbation, then...

all i know is that my head starts to itch like crazy if i beat off and stays that way for about a week. It get's better after that but i usually don't have the will power to keep myself from jacking off and the cycle starts again. other than that i have no proof that it affects the hair loss process.

So I've just read that excessive masturbation (>2-3 times a week) can cause increased levels of DHT in the body leading to hair loss. This is true right? Why wern't we told about this earlier?

If you are already genetically predisposed to hair loss, masturbating can exacerbate and accelerate hair loss right?
    First of all, 2-3 times per week or even a little more is not excessive for a healthy young male (20-25 years old); it is quite natural even for older ones. And from a physiological point of view, masturbation is not different from intercourse. You will have an orgasm and the same loss of fluids, although one can argue that intercourse is more intense and it can lead to more serious loss.

I am not aware of any studies on this subject. But from my personal experience I can say that if you overdo it (and this depends on the person and his way of life) you can cause slight to moderate "harm" to yourself in two ways: (1) by raising your androgen levels, which will accelerate hairloss if you are predisposed to this, and (2) by rejecting much zinc (through seminal fluids) which is needed for many vital functions, like keeping a healthy skin and hair. Obviously part 2 can be easily corrected, but there is little to be done for part 1.

And I repeat, this is not something masturbation-specific but rather ejaculation-specific, implying that sexually active persons are generally more concerned than the ones who just masturbate. Talking about myself, masturbation did nothing bad to me but becoming sexually active was far more devastating to my hair because of the high frequency for prolonged periods (just multiply this "2-3 times per week" by a factor of 3 or 4 and keep it that way for months nonstop).

Quote Originally Posted by bgd07
    Quitting masturbation cannot harm you in any way.
    Oh yes, it can but it is rather rare and generally without consequences. I suppose you have never experienced prostate congestion. All I can say is that it is total misery for a man since it very closely mimics the symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia, fortunately without being a pathological state. The "treatment" is frequent elimination of the fluids, that is ejaculation in whichever way.

Quote Originally Posted by bgd07
    Actually, many people who did this feel better, and have more energy.
    Although generally true, there are cases in which the inverse also may be observed, i.e. ejaculation raising the energy levels. I suppose this depends on the initial state of the person.

2-3 times a week excessive? I can do that in one morning

Quote Originally Posted by ajax

2-3 times a week excessive? I can do that in one morning
    Your hair is probably not benefiting from that...