Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Do Hair Transplants Actually work?

Do Hair Transplants actually work?

I am curious as I considering one however I am not sure if it would be a good as not sure of I could style my hair the same way as I have done before and the thought of having to put products like Toppic in to make it fuller sounds awful.

Any advice particuarly from hair trasplant paitents would be good to hear.

Re: Do Hair Transplants Actually work?

Yes

But they are the definition of "you get what you pay for". As a rule of thumb, FUE > Strip, and only get from a short list of doctors (maybe 6-12 in the USA and one in canada).

They absolutely work, spectacularly with one of the better surgeons.
    There is a link in my sig to images of results from the two procedures I've had.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

My transplant and medication story here - How I went from NW6 to regrowing a fringe

UK the Home of the worst HT surgeons in the world

Quote Originally Posted by dudemon
    In addition to what has been said already, I would like to add that HT's do work, BUT the results that you can get from them are limited mainly by the amount of donor hair supply you have, provided you go to one of the best HT surgeons. So, if you are already NW4+, getting an HT is NOT a good idea because at that stage of MPB, your donor supply is already seriously depleted. This is especially true if you don't plan on taking Finasteride. IMO, getting an HT without stabilizing your MPB will only result in dissappointing results a few years down the road, as soon as the hair begins to thin out around the transplanted hair.
    Yes they do work but they are not a fullproof cure, by that I mean a bald man cannot expect to regain a perfect head of hair but can get a significant improvement. As dudemon said you are limited to how much donor supply you have available. The only time things dont work ie dont grow is when you go to a amatuerish surgeon who does'nt know what he's doing thats why its important to choose a surgeon with a tried and tested reputation.
    As as dudemon also pointed out although the transplanted hair will keep growing you may still lose more of your original native hair.
    *Voice of reason on HLT since 2007*
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS
    I don't need to marry the woman I'll get HM for that. just need to have fun for a month till she finds out, and have a fast turnover rate if she dumps me. If the piece looks good turnover shouldnt b a issue. Just break contact with her & her friends if she has a bigmouth
    it is not your lack of drink, but muscles or face thats the reason. The only reason they'd want you to drink is so you focus on that and dont hit on them I don't even go to partys, at least not till I get more muscle on my arms.

UK the Home of the worst HT surgeons in the world

Quote Originally Posted by dudemon
    AND, actually, a more accurate statement would have been: "At NW4+ you will need more grafts than you have available to give realistic enough results."
    Not always, some NW5's and even NW6's have gone back to realistic looking NW2's. And the older you are the better the chances of it looking acceptable.
    *Voice of reason on HLT since 2007*
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS
    I don't need to marry the woman I'll get HM for that. just need to have fun for a month till she finds out, and have a fast turnover rate if she dumps me. If the piece looks good turnover shouldnt b a issue. Just break contact with her & her friends if she has a bigmouth
    it is not your lack of drink, but muscles or face thats the reason. The only reason they'd want you to drink is so you focus on that and dont hit on them I don't even go to partys, at least not till I get more muscle on my arms.

Quote Originally Posted by 2hillpark
    Do Hair Transplants actually work?

I am curious as I considering one however I am not sure if it would be a good as not sure of I could style my hair the same way as I have done before and the thought of having to put products like Toppic in to make it fuller sounds awful.

Any advice particuarly from hair trasplant paitents would be good to hear.
    that is the issue, if you are reaching for something YOU HAD BEFORE, its highly unlikely you will get that with a transplant, if you want what you had before you have to wear a hair system, check hairdirect.com, that is the only way to get what you had before assuming you're a NW3+ or something.

however HT are good if you're a NW4 looking to "not be bald" naturally - if you can call HT natural- and get your front line back, but no one is saying it will be like before, and if you get a bad surgeon then it can look unrealistic, whereas a hairpiece it wil look 100% realistic and have what you had or what you want.

but both are good options however as a rule a HT will made a NW4 person not bald anymore , a hair system will give you what you want or who you were at 18 or whatever.
    Halifax puts the average price at 163,845 in December 2012.
    The Land Registry's report showed the average home in England and Wales worth 158,94
    The average home in England and Wales according to Nationwide is worth 162,262.
    Average UK house price rose to 162,000 last year, says the Land Registry.
    Halifax said the average UK house price rose to 168,521 in March.

My parents place is worth 350K, thus it is well within upper middle of the housing market.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutt
    Yes

But they are the definition of "you get what you pay for". As a rule of thumb, FUE > Strip, and only get from a short list of doctors (maybe 6-12 in the USA and one in canada).

I would not say FUE is greater than Strip. It depends on who the doctor is and what your needs are. I am convinced after 8,000 FUE on myself and speaking to several top FUE doctors in person that you can not get anything close to 95-100% yield in most cases. The benefits are quicker recovery, and less scarring which will enable you to confidently cut your hair very short if you desire.