Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Thread: home remedies?

home remedies?

I have found a couple home remedies for my (female) thinning hair and am wondering if they have any scientific merit:

According to Pakistanís Daily Times, a hair loss treatment of honey, oil, and cinnamon is effective.
    "Hair loss: Those suffering from hair loss or baldness, may apply a paste of hot olive oil, one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder before a bath and keep it for approximately 15 minutes, and then wash the hair"

"A mixture of equal quantity of fresh amla juice and lime juice used as a shampoo stimulates hair growth and prevents hair loss"

I would love to hear your thoughts on these and other home remedies. Do you know of any that work the best for thinning hair?

Thank you

Re: home remedies?

Sadly, I've never seen a single shred of proof that any alternative remedies like this work.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

My transplant and medication story here - How I went from NW6 to regrowing a fringe

Try MSM 2- 4000 mg daily. It was the first thing that lessened my thinning internally.

Thanks for sharing tips

Hi....
    Thanks for sharing these homemade tips for hair..I always avoid chemical for hairs..

You are welcomed.

Have you found anything else to work?

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew
    I have found a couple home remedies for my (female) thinning hair and am wondering if they have any scientific merit:

According to Pakistanís Daily Times, a hair loss treatment of honey, oil, and cinnamon is effective.
    "Hair loss: Those suffering from hair loss or baldness, may apply a paste of hot olive oil, one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder before a bath and keep it for approximately 15 minutes, and then wash the hair"

"A mixture of equal quantity of fresh amla juice and lime juice used as a shampoo stimulates hair growth and prevents hair loss"

I would love to hear your thoughts on these and other home remedies. Do you know of any that work the best for thinning hair?

Thank you

Hi mdrew, the home remedy in question seems a bit weak, olive oil is very good for your scalp and when mixed with the right ingredients it can stop some types shedding. Both honey and cinnamon have anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties; this helps stop bacteria and fungus growth on the scalp. It also lightens your hair (the cinnamon mimics peroxide) but the hair shaft benefits more from the honey (moisture and detangling).

If your hair loss is because of fungus, you could get good results, it may take some time though.

HTH
    Patricia