Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Eliminating the Baldness Gene

Read this may be possible in the future.

Except, does this have to happen upon being born, or could this gene be nullified at any point in one's life? I sort of looked at it as a vaccination...though it probably works a lot different than that...for all I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka
    You can't presume to tell someone what should or shouldn't bother them. Unless you've lived their exact life, had all the exact same experiences, and view the world the exact same way.

Re: Eliminating the Baldness Gene

even if we had the science i wouldnt jump in to change the genetic structure of my child to be + such treatment wont help the guys who are already bald/ing.
    "our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising each time we fall"

My thread

But it is just the bald gene though, are we risking changing anything else besides MPB?

Also i thought it could help later on to. it should reverse the hair loss if htere's still hair on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka
    You can't presume to tell someone what should or shouldn't bother them. Unless you've lived their exact life, had all the exact same experiences, and view the world the exact same way.

Do you guys really think there's only _one_ "baldness gene"?
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Do you guys really think there's only _one_ "baldness gene"?
    Some human characteristics come from a single gene but many others are the result of a combination of multiple ones. So far research indicates there might be different genes involved in baldness.

Genes are not like a light switch you can turn ON and OFF. They interact in a complex and quantitative manner. Moreover, genes accounting for the balding process can also affect other traits and characteristics.

So you guys will be better off staying quite and not playing with your genes.

What I'm getting at is that any number of genes could be considered the "baldness gene". For example, the gene that codes for the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme; the gene that codes for the androgen receptor; the gene (or genes) that code for the enzymes that convert cholesterol into pregnenolone, the first step in the manufacture of sex hormones (like androgens). If you interfere with ANY single one of those genes, you would stop balding.

So is it really proper to talk about any single "baldness gene"?
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

Sure, when you compare those who are able to bald with those that do you see a difference in genes and their expression.

Really you don't even have to change the DNA, you can change the epigenome.

(see signature)

I'm not quite sure how many genes are involved, but of course one would imagine a fairly minimal number are connected to the process of hair follicle miniaturization in the presence of DHT.

One would also imagine that it is possible to signal to these genes to "switch off" epigenetically... I wonder how.

@Hoppi
    I agree. Im not sure hoe many genes are involved either but I also believe, there arent to many responsible for the follicles being sensitive to DHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigaku
    Read this may be possible in the future.

Except, does this have to happen upon being born, or could this gene be nullified at any point in one's life? I sort of looked at it as a vaccination...though it probably works a lot different than that...for all I know.Read this may be possible in the future.

Except, does this have to happen upon being born, or could this gene be nullified at any point in one's life? I sort of looked at it as a vaccination...though it probably works a lot different than that...for all I know.
    actually... it just might work like that. The changes in the genes has to be applied by a vector (for example a virus). This is still a lot of years away but I am sure it will be possible someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ori83
    even if we had the science i wouldnt jump in to change the genetic structure of my child to be + such treatment wont help the guys who are already bald/ing.
    Gene therapy does not effect the genes in your sperm and i think also people your are already balding might benefit from such gene therapy. A follicle that does not produce hair anymore can still be alive for many years.