Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDL Cholesterol and male pattern balding

Hope it is not a repeat - saw this mention of a study about HDL cholesterol, metabolic syndrome, and male pattern balding at:

http://nephropal.blogspot.com/

1) There is a higher incidence of male pattern balding with the metabolic syndrome. A Taiwanese study of 740 subjects, ages 40-91 years, revealed that there was a statistically significant association the metabolic syndrome and male pattern balding. The most important factor was HDL. (click)

Re: HDL Cholesterol and male pattern balding

I've been loosing hair since I was 21 in 2001. I went to see my doctor recently(2010) who said my cholesterol was high and he will give me some medication. The side-effect of this medication is more hairloss, so I said no thanks.

Total cholesterol tells you nothing. Even LDL, the "bad" cholesterol, does not say much by itself, despite what some doctors say. Oxidized LDL is a cause for worry, but you don't see the levels of oxLDL in standard tests.

EDIT: That's not to say that high HDL might not protect from hair loss -- that's quite plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by JLL
    Total cholesterol tells you nothing. Even LDL, the "bad" cholesterol, does not say much by itself, despite what some doctors say. Oxidized LDL is a cause for worry, but you don't see the levels of oxLDL in standard tests.

EDIT: That's not to say that high HDL might not protect from hair loss -- that's quite plausible.

This is 100% correct. However, consider this; high levels of histamine lower both LDL and HDL. High histamine is linked to undermethylation, excessive oxidation, inflamation i.e. CRP values and cox.

So if you have bad levels lipids in your blood you should have your histamine levels checked, if they are over it is very possible that you are undermethylating.

Undermethylation has been linked to balding and heart disease. This helps explain why someone can have a "good" level of LDL and still have a heart attack due to inflamation caused, not by high histamine, rather by low methylation.

Quote Originally Posted by purecontrol
    Quote Originally Posted by JLL

This is 100% correct. However, consider this; high levels of histamine lower both LDL and HDL. High histamine is linked to undermethylation, excessive oxidation, inflamation i.e. CRP values and cox.

So if you have bad levels lipids in your blood you should have your histamine levels checked, if they are over it is very possible that you are undermethylating.

Undermethylation has been linked to balding and heart disease. This helps explain why someone can have a "good" level of LDL and still have a heart attack due to inflamation caused, not by high histamine, rather by low methylation.

So a simple anti histamine like zyrtec would prevent balding?

ldo!

They see me rolling, they hating...

Quote Originally Posted by billythekid
    ldo!

About 2025% of total daily cholesterol production occurs in the liver; other sites of high synthesis rates include the intestines, adrenal glands, and reproductive organs. Synthesis within the body starts with one molecule of acetyl CoA and one molecule of acetoacetyl-CoA, which are dehydrated to form 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA (HMG-CoA). This molecule is then reduced to mevalonate by the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase. This step is the regulated, rate-limiting and irreversible step in cholesterol synthesis and is the site of action for the statin drugs (HMG-CoA reductase competitive inhibitors).

Coenzyme-A play a role big time in Hairloss I bet my paycheck..just like Acne.

Acne, cystic cronic, is based on an immune disorder that has to do with high histamine.

The new thing for acne, is people using zantac. It effect h1 h2 receptors, etc.

That is why you can die of heart disease even with low ldl, the lipid are not the problem, the inflamation is ie CRP.

Lipids don't kill people inflamation does.

They see me rolling, they hating...

Acne, cystic cronic, is based on an immune disorder that has to do with high histamine.

The new thing for acne, is people using zantac. It effect h1 h2 receptors, etc.

That is why you can die of heart disease even with low ldl, the lipid are not the problem, the inflamation is ie CRP.

Lipids don't kill people inflamation does.
    Bad lipid metabolism start inflammation..

Quote Originally Posted by squeegee
    Bad lipid metabolism start inflammation..
    Equally likely it is the other way around. Pinning down exactly which is the cause and which is the effect is very hard when there's a thousand different systems working together.
    -Stopped my form of MPB through a simple diet change. At least 10% of the rest of you would respond from removing gluten from your diet as well.

-The modern day high carb diet is somewhat idiotic, out of the three caloric food sources it's the only one that the body has ZERO need for.