Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Toppik pros and cons

Hello,

I'm on minox and finasterade... but for a concealer I use toppik. It makes the thinning I have on my crown disappear. It's such a great product. Is it the best concealer though? The worst aspects are:

(1) how disgusting it makes my bathroom. Every morning, I have to wipe down a bunch of surfaces as a part of my routine.

(2) how paranoid I become that I might get wet or caught in the rain and the fibers are going to get all over my forehead, neck etc. For some reason the black toppik turns green when it hits water.

(3) After a bunch of it has rubbed off, like after sleeping, it appears like you have leopard-like spots on your scalp in the thinned out area. It leaves black fuzzy fibres on your pillow too.

So is there something better? I take all of the above as a trade-off for having normal looking hair, but is there a product on par that doesn't rub off on pillows and make the bathroom super gross? One that's more water resistant and doesn't turn green? There's a product called hair cubed that seems ok?

Re: Toppik pros and cons

Hair cubed is that awful spray isn't it?

I have also posted regarding the 'leopard spots' look on a previous thread, It is a shame, especially if you are sharing a bed with someone! All the fibres do that in my experience, I've tried 3 different ones.

Its a pain isnt it but the results out way the negatives or at least they did when I used it. I used it when my hair was short but I grew it and haven't used it for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdavies
    Its a pain isnt it but the results out way the negatives or at least they did when I used it. I used it when my hair was short but I grew it and haven't used it for a couple of years.
    Yes, I supposed, but I'm still not entirely confident wearing it.
    I'm guessing you didn't use it for the crown especially then?

My only advice is simple. If the sky is overcast (or the local weather forecast calls for rain) make sure you've got an umbrella at the ready. I don't know of any concealer that can stand up to pouring rain.

Propecia 1 MG per day. Rogaine twice a day. Lots of vitamins.

major CON...

i didnt know this till 2 years after starting...but toppik gives you green sweat. if you use a decent amount in the front of your head and then work out, your sweat will be green and it can freak out some ppl

other than that, it is a great product. i used it for year until i didnt have enough hair left. i high recommend the spray applicator and using either the fiber hold spray or some nornam hairspray. the hairspray helps keep the surrounding hairs in place. this product delayed being bald for me for about 4-5 years. love it.

UK the Home of the worst HT surgeons in the world

Toppic is the only hair fibre that does this, other brands have less problems.
    *Voice of reason on HLT since 2007*
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS
    I don't need to marry the woman I'll get HM for that. just need to have fun for a month till she finds out, and have a fast turnover rate if she dumps me. If the piece looks good turnover shouldnt b a issue. Just break contact with her & her friends if she has a bigmouth
    it is not your lack of drink, but muscles or face thats the reason. The only reason they'd want you to drink is so you focus on that and dont hit on them I don't even go to partys, at least not till I get more muscle on my arms.

Use the spray volumizer attachment thing. It allows an even distribution of the fibres, so that you don't have to use anywhere near as much, so excess fibres are less likely to create a mess. I don't tend to have the problems with toppik that many here describe, I think because I just don't need to use as much because of the spray thing. It's well worth getting.
    A good friend will post bail for you. A best friend will be sitting on the bench beside you saying "That was ****ing awesome!"

i cant relate to pretty much any of those issues mate

firstly, how can you make a mess of your bathroom putting it on? for me its just a little shake and im away. zero mess. i cant imagine how there would ever be a mess?

secondly, fibres? the stuff i use it powder so this is never an issue either

even in the wet theres no problems for me....

finally a tip for you guys. for the most effective use of toppik, atleast in my experience is to apply it when your hair is semi-wet. eg. after the shower on after a quick dry down with your towel. it seems to absorb very naturally into the hair for me. i then use a hairdryer to dry my hair fully (as opposed to rubbing it all off with a towel!)

works great for me, i love it. i wouldn't like to be needing to use loads every time though you have to draw the line on how reliant you are on it...

I use Nanogen so have never had any colour-issues, unfortunately they don't have a sprayer though becuase that looks good!
    They do come out in water though, so as the todd says an umbrella is essential unless you want to look stupid- even dermmatch starts coming off when it REALLY rains.
    I just wash my hair before going to bed to get rid of any fibres & dermmatch, takes 5 minutes and I like being clean and relaxed to go to sleep

Colin297- everyone calls them fibres even though they are so small they look like a powder. Good tip about the half dry hair thing though, I've always believed the company when they said apply them dry- I'll experiment tomorrow!