Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Other options besides finasteride?

I've been taking finasteride 1.25 mg, nizoral 2%, and rogaine for a few months and I'm noticing results. However, I do have some side effects on the finasteride.

Would it be possible to get good results just on nizoral and rogaine? Are there any other safe, effective options?

Re: Other options besides finasteride?

Quote Originally Posted by hmplbb
    I've been taking finasteride 1.25 mg, nizoral 2%, and rogaine for a few months and I'm noticing results. However, I do have some side effects on the finasteride.

Would it be possible to get good results just on nizoral and rogaine? Are there any other safe, effective options?
    There is no medicine effective as finasteride, there are some alternatives like topical spirolactone and saw palmetto but this two are hairwise not as good.

You can always try lowering the dosage, considering that 1.25mg is quite high.

You could try Proxiphen, although it's expensive. Dr. Proctor says it's more effective than Propecia.
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

Lower the dosage.

I got pretty bad sides from .5mg

I stuck to it and consistently lowered the dose.

I now take .16mg (1/6th tablet), and the hair is still coming in and it really seems no different than .5mg...Other than the sides are n0n existent now.

I wouldn't of thought such a low dose to be effective, but I saw another thread of a user who grew back major hair on just 1/6th.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing with this drug, and I believe that the standard 1mg dose can cause a hormonal storm in your system.

Just keep on lowering the dose til you find something comfortable, but dont give it up or you will lose your hair. I experienced a major shed after just a few days from being off of propecia.

I hope this helps.

Thanks guys, I'll lower the dosage and see how it goes.

Now, how in the hell do you successfully cut a pill into 6 pieces? They already seem to crumble and be a little uneven cutting it into quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    You could try Proxiphen, although it's expensive. Dr. Proctor says it's more effective than Propecia.
    yes, he would say that lol xD

Quote Originally Posted by G k
    I now take .16mg (1/6th tablet), and the hair is still coming in and it really seems no different than .5mg...Other than the sides are n0n existent now.
    A famous early study of finasteride with humans showed that a daily dose of 0.04 mg was the minimum amount (out of all the doses they actually tested, of course) to significantly lower blood levels of DHT. The lower doses had no significant effect on blood levels of DHT.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing with this drug, and I believe that the standard 1mg dose can cause a hormonal storm in your system.
    A "hormonal storm"? Are you aware of the early testing in which human volunteers took as much as 80 mg of finasteride every day for a few months, without any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Fender89
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    yes, he would say that lol xD
    {shrug}

Dr. Proctor is both an MD and a PhD, and has been researching hair loss for 20-30 years. I tend to believe what he says, and trust his judgement.

What about Avodart / Dutasteride?

Now I think about it, I hardly ever see anyone mention Dut anymore, have I missed something?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

My transplant and medication story here - How I went from NW6 to regrowing a fringe

[quote=Bryan]
    A famous early study of finasteride with humans showed that a daily dose of 0.04 mg was the minimum amount (out of all the doses they actually tested, of course) to significantly lower blood levels of DHT. The lower doses had no significant effect on blood levels of DHT.

Quote Originally Posted by "G k":3ed25v5b
    A "hormonal storm"? Are you aware of the early testing in which human volunteers took as much as 80 mg of finasteride every day for a few months, without any problems? [/quote:3ed25v5b]

Well I am aware of many studies that make it appear perfectly safe.

I am just describing how it felt for me. I think its a very strong hormone altering drug that has feminizing effects on men, in many cases. I'm sure merk's control group were all fine tho :P