A friend from sweden contacted me regarding a generic minox. product they sell over there called "recrea". The thing looked like regular rogaine to me, but something in the product information made my eyes pop.

I am a medical student, and hair loss research is one of my passions, but this information I had never encountered.

(from the product info...translated by my friend)"Be sure as to use a shampoo without silicone, as silicone may interfere with the absorption of minoxidil and make it less effective".

...WHAT!? SERIOUSLY!?

But this makes sense. Silicone compunds, wich is used to give the hair "shine", will, according to many beauty and hair sites for women, coat the scalp and make it produce more sebum. Some of them even claimed it was the cause of hair loss, but I doubt that.

But this might explain why some people don't get any results from minoxidil at all, and why minoxidil and ZPT (in head and shoulders) don't produce an added effect.

To cut the post short: silicone compounds ends with -cone or -xane. Most commercial shampoos contain silicone. Exeptions are really cheap shampoos, or really expensive dermatological shampoos. Head and shoulders contains some silicone. As do Herbal Essences, and L'Oreal. Shampoos from Vichy and Sexy Hair do not (at least most of them don't).
NIZORAL DOES NOT CONTAIN SILICONE.

Look for -cone and -xane, guys...