Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Dermaroller + Minoxidil = Dangerous

I've just started to use a dermaroller and Dr Lee's 12.5% minoxidil on my temples, getting a bit worried after reading this.

http://dermaroller.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... /#comments

Dear Dermaroller
    So many Internet sites offer substances against hair loss such as Minoxidil and many others and claim they work best when enhanced with needling devices. On your website I cannot find any link or comment to use a Dermaroller in combination with drugs against hair loss.
    I am also a victim of progressive baldness and your reply would be highly appreciated.
    Greetings from
    Kai Duval
    Dear Kai,

Thank you addressing this question to our BLOG. Originally Minoxidil was a drug developed to fight high blood pressure. There are rumors and claims that patients used this drug also developed an increase of hair growth (???). Today this drug (Rogaine) is widely used to fight hair loss. Over the years the drug concentration was up-scaled from 1 to 5%. We cannot comment if this drug or others can improve hair growth or reverse hair loss. Personally we believe this rumors became a myth over the years.

We have been asked many times why we do not recommend the use of this drug in combination with the Dermaroller. We have good reasons for our refusal. Let me explain:

Not only would we fool you and million others if we would make such claims. The structure of the human skin prevents that drugs or cosmetics can penetrate the stratum corneum, the uppermost layer of the epidermis. We have absolute prove that not more then 0.01% of a hydrophilic (water and/or alcohol) formulated solution can be absorbed by the skin. The rest evaporates or goes into your pillow – an expensive experience. See: http://www.dermaroller.de/us/science/science.html

Naturally things look different when this blood pressure controlling drug is enhanced into the skin by a needling device. It immediately will enter into your blood stream and things can quickly get out of control and you definitely can get a problem, even a heart failure, especially then when you have a coronary deficiency (what many people do not know). If you enhance such a drug into your skin with the help of an enhancing device, this would be the same if you play with open fire near a leaking gas pipe!

If copiers of the original Dermaroller recommend a needling device in combination with such drugs against hair loss, they definitely lie and encourage you to risk your health.

Therefore our conclusion is clear: DON’T DO IT!!!

We can imagine that this statement doesn’t comfort you. But you definitely can enjoy life with some lost hair - even it is hard to except in the beginning. But the risk to suffer for the rest of your life is not worth it.

Sincerely yours,
    The Dermaroller Team

Oh, there was already an old thread about this. Since this is a relevant and legitimate concern, I'll bump it.

Lipogaine 5% Minoxidil twice a day + 1.5mm derma roller twice a day
    Well this sucks, I have such good results after only 3 months of fake derma roller and Lipogaine (minox 5%).

1.5 DR, Wkly 7/28/13
    Keto 2/3x Wkly
    Fin/Min 10yrs
    The micro wounds from dermarolling close between 20 minutes and an hour after wounding depending on depth and severity. If you wait 12-24hrs after dermarolling before your next minoxidil application you will have zero chance of the minox going systemic.

The derma roller wounds might close after one hour, but if I dermaroll again after 12 hours, it hurts too much. I must mention, I dermaroll gently, I almost never bleed, but still deep enough to feel some pain. I will try dermarolling 2-3 times a week only, with no minoxidil right after.

1.5 DR, Wkly 7/28/13
    Keto 2/3x Wkly
    Fin/Min 10yrs
    Quote Originally Posted by vladut50 View Post
    The derma roller wounds might close after one hour, but if I dermaroll again after 12 hours, it hurts too much. I must mention, I dermaroll gently, I almost never bleed, but still deep enough to feel some pain. I will try dermarolling 2-3 times a week only, with no minoxidil right after.
    What size roller are you using?

1,5 mm and it's not the original one. I paid only 9 euro on Amazon, but I guess is pretty effective. The needles are still very sharp after almost 4 months.