Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

READ READ READ.. Very Interesting POV

Ok I was at my GP not too long ago, an Egyptian doctor who I have been seeing for about a decade.

For the first time we spoke about my hair loss, well well fkn well.. what a surprise when that topic was brought up.

Turns out he used to work for Merck & Sharpe as a researcher back in Egypt and he was booted out for his theory on hair loss. This is no bull****.. this guy was a fkn knowledge machine. All this time!

This is what his theory is:

DHT isn't the cause of hair loss is. Sebum is. This is why:

DHT triggers the glands in your follicle to overproduce sebum. Bacteria gathers in this overflow and your immune system then attacks the bacteria, INCLUDING the hair follicle with inflammation. He said it's very similar to the process of acne.

Propecia works by stopping the DHT triggering the sebum overflow. He said Propecia could make your hair worse if like me hyperandrogenicity causes the extra oil.

He said he proved this theory by putting an early stage patient on low dose accutane. He said the patient regrew hair. He said this is why Retinoid helps, not because it tackles DHT, but because it tackles the sebaceous gland and stops the production of sebum.. hence stopping the gathering of bacteria.. hence no inflammation and no immune response.

I also asked why some medications work and why some don't. He said in theory it should work for all, but there are 2 reasons it doesnt:

1. Internal drugs can cause hyperandrogenicity like I've experienced
    2. Topical drugs don't reach the follicle BECAUSE of the sebum build up blocking it. He said minoxidil works best with retin-A not because retin-A helps hair loss through DHT, but helps the minoxidil flow down the follicle wall by eliminating sebum build up.

He said he never really gave it the years of research it deserves, but his theory is ultra-low-doses of Accutane stops hair loss. He said 10mg twice a week will do the job.

He said when he kept trying to push this idea through his experiments, Merck kicked him off the research team.

Re: READ READ READ.. Very Interesting POV

Very interesting.. though isn't hair thinning a possible side effect of Accutane?

Also, Jojoba oil is supposed to remove access sebum from the scalp.. though would it be effective at actually doing so?

That is interesting and I've never heard anything like that before.

I have had a growth spurt since starting glycolic acid peels on my
    scalp and I wonder if the peel is clearing out sebum from my scalp.
    I've read that glycolic peels are supposed to clear up acne so
    maybe it's the same type action.

Finasteride 1mg per day
    Nizoral and Revita shampoos
    Nanofibres
    Daily praying to the Hair God

does washing your hair regularly get rid of sebum?

what is the sebum?

are you going to try this empire ?

According to Minoxidol.com Sebum causing MPB is a myth

"There is a relationship between sebum and DHT, but not between sebum and MPB. DHT is found in the sebum in a high concentration because DHT is soluble in fatty substances such as sebum. But the sebaceous glands are superficial to the hair follicles and the DHT in the sebum does not affect the hair follicle. Damage due to DHT occurs at the base of the hair follicles, where testosterone is converted into DHT via types 1 and 2, 5 alpha- reductase enzymes. Routine shampooing or otherwise removing sebum will not prevent or reverse MPB."

Ask the brilliant Egyptian doctor how he fits into his nutty theory the fact that finasteride has no effect on sebum production!
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Ask the brilliant Egyptian doctor how he fits into his nutty theory the fact that finasteride has no effect on sebum production!
    I have to say.. as a GP, he's fkn brilliant. He's known for dealing with children and he was brilliant when I had chronic fatigue.

But good point, Im seeing him tomorrow so will definately bring that up.

Quote Originally Posted by tman7
    According to Minoxidol.com Sebum causing MPB is a myth

"There is a relationship between sebum and DHT, but not between sebum and MPB. DHT is found in the sebum in a high concentration because DHT is soluble in fatty substances such as sebum. But the sebaceous glands are superficial to the hair follicles and the DHT in the sebum does not affect the hair follicle. Damage due to DHT occurs at the base of the hair follicles, where testosterone is converted into DHT via types 1 and 2, 5 alpha- reductase enzymes. Routine shampooing or otherwise removing sebum will not prevent or reverse MPB."
    I think theyre referring to DHT found in sebum.

My GP is saying the sebum itself.. not DHT.. DHT is creating the sebum thats attracting the bacteria, thats causing the inflammation, thats causing the immune response, thats kicking the follicle out.

Oh and he said, this is microscopic.. happens below the skin.