Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BHT in Gasoline

BHT in Gasoline

I ran out of Stabil and don't want to drive 10 miles just for that stuff.

How much BHT should I use to stabilize my 2 gallon container of fresh gas I use for the mower and snow blower?

Thanks for any info.
    Rick

Re: BHT in Gasoline

Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw say in their book Life Extension that you can add about 1/4 teaspoon of BHT to a gallon of gas to slow autoxidation and keep small engines like lawn mowers running smoothly. I suggest using a somewhat smaller amount than that. BTW, I do that with my own lawn mower, and it seems to work great.

However, I'd resist the temptation to add BHT to any automobile gas tank. I have no idea if BHT is compatible with catalytic converters and other modern emission control equipment.
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

Thanks Bryan.

Edit: BHT is used in modern day gasoline production but I don't know if it is the same type as I can get easily.

http://www.albemarle.com/TDS/Antioxidan ... OX_BHT.pdf
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by dudemon
    WTF is "BHT"? - Never heard of it.
    http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa082101a.htm

Keeps oils and fats from going rancid.

I use it alot in my homemade soaps. For homemade creams (i.e., for MPB) I use Germaban IIE for the water component. But BHT works very well in soaps because the water evaporates eventually.

Alot of people put in a pinch of BHT whenever they open a container of cooking oil and salad oils, etc.

I knew you don't need much of BHT but I didn't know the rate to apply to gasoline, (i.e., which has an oil component that goes gummy over time).

It wouldn't surprise me if some BHT was in Stabil.
    Rick

Nowadays, BHT is known as body hair transplants:

http://darkskinlaser.com/BodyHairTransplants.html

Quote Originally Posted by Old Baldy
    Edit: BHT is used in modern day gasoline production but I don't know if it is the same type as I can get easily.

http://www.albemarle.com/TDS/Antioxidan ... OX_BHT.pdf
    I'm almost certain that the product mentioned at that site is simply pure BHT. I think the word "Ethanox" is just a tradename they use.

I'm also glad that they say that "Ethanox BHT" is "suitable for use in gasoline, jet fuels, turbine oils, hydraulic oils", etc., because that implies that it IS safe for modern automobiles. Now I'm tempted to start adding a little of it to the gas tank of my car, considering that I'm driving less and less, and each tank of gas is sitting around longer and longer.

BTW, OB, I have a problem with your claim above that "BHT is used in modern day gasoline production." While it's obvious that BHT is available as a supplement to put in gasoline nowadays, I don't see any indication that it's used in the actual production of gasoline by the oil companies. In other words, I don't think the gas you buy from a gas station comes with BHT already pre-added! Do you know any differently?

Quote Originally Posted by dudemon
    WTF is "BHT"? - Never heard of it.
    To add a little to what OB said: butylated hydroxytoluene. BHT is a powerful, synthetic fat-soluble antioxidant. It's widely used in foods, drugs, and cosmetics to slow oxidation and prolong their life.

It's used in TINY amounts. As little as 0.05% (that is NOT 5%, that's only five hundredths of 1%) added to something like cooking oil can greatly slow oxidation and lengthen shelf-life.

Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw (of Life Extension fame) popularized the theory that BHT may also contain chemical properties that can fight certain kinds of viruses, including the herpes virus and the AIDS virus.

Some people go so far as to take actual supplements of BHT. Pearson & Shaw, at the time they wrote Life Extension, were taking 2 grams/day of BHT, which is about a thousand times the amount people were getting from normal dietary sources when BHT usage was at its peak.

By the way, NDGA (nordihydroguaiaretic acid) is even more potent than BHT. I've read that as little as 0.01% (1 hundredth of 1%) added to fatty material can be an effective antioxidant. The only problem is that it's FAR more difficult to obtain than BHT, and much more expensive. I have a small amount which a friend got for me from a chemical company. BHT, on the other hand, can easily be ordered from beyond-a-century.com, and probably other places, and it's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Baldy
    It wouldn't surprise me if some BHT was in Stabil.
    OB, how much does Stabil cost?

I did some Googling on it to see what's in it, and all I could find out is that 5% of the stuff is some mysterious "proprietary" substance which they refused to divulge. Judging by their recommended doses of Stabil to be put in gasoline, it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if that "proprietary" ingredient really IS just plain BHT!

Bryan: I'mjust guessing about BHT in Stabil.

Around here in Detroit, I've heard over the years from some car buffs that they thought BHT might be in gasoline along with other addivites. But I'm making a guess. It might be the car buffs were stating a derivative of BHT or similar additive is used nowadays. (But, why then does gasoline start to go bad in about 30 days? Makes me think you have a good point.)

You're probably right about no BHT in gasoline additives because I can't find any specific mention of it in my internet searches.

I think the last 10 ounce bottle of Stabil I bought cost about $7.00 with tax. It takes one ounce per gallon. So it ain't nearly as cost effective as BHT (i.e., if BHT works ok.)

You've never had gummy deposits when you've used BHT so it must be ok. I don't see why it wouldn't work in a gasoline engine. How much do you use per gallon?

Another guess, Stabil is 95 percent "Marvel Mystery Oil" and 5 percent something else, of which a part could very well be BHT.

Look up Marvel Mystery Oil Bryan, it's another "mystery" concoction. Some car buffs around here say all it is is an expensive transmission fluid concoction with other minor additives. But I really don't know.

You may already know of this site, it's a good one IMHO:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    Rick