Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Treatments for 30yo PCOS F frontal/hairline thinning & loss

My friend is 30, has PCOS & is experiencing a receding hairline & frontal thinning. Nioxin used to help her but it doesn't seem to now. She recently got & then returned a bunch of minoxidil-based products as they are to help with topical male-pattern-baldness in the back, but not frontal/hairline loss. I'm thinking finasterine (sp?) might be what she needs but I see that is not recommended for women. Now, she's planning on never having kids so that may make it less risky but I don't know if I should guide her to that. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Treatments for 30yo PCOS F frontal/hairline thinning & loss

My friend is 30, has PCOS & is experiencing a receding hairline & frontal thinning. Nioxin used to help her but it doesn't seem to now. She recently got & then returned a bunch of minoxidil-based products as they are to help with topical male-pattern-baldness in the back, but not frontal/hairline loss. I'm thinking finasterine (sp?) might be what she needs but I see that is not recommended for women. Now, she's planning on never having kids so that may make it less risky but I don't know if I should guide her to that. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
    I don't know what PCOS is but womens rogaine will help with a receding hairline and frontal thinning. It take a while for it to grow in, for some reason the front takes the longest to fill in.

------------------------------------
    nioxin is good at thicking up the hair thus it DISGUISES the hairloss, despite their claim there is little clinical evidence that the product makes hair grow back but it's still a good shampoo for thinning hair
    it says in the manual that minoxidil doesn't work on the frontal hairline but it's found to have a small effect on the frontal hairline
    finesteride also has a minimal effect on the frontal hairline (i think it's actually less than minoxidil)
    i don't really recommend finesteride in women without at least seeing a tricoligist to see if there are more specific treatments for your friend
    the problem is we don't know 100% if DHT plays a role in women's hairloss or not it even says in the manual for propecia that their trials showed it didn't help

why in the world would a woman with a hormone imbalance take a product which is for men's hormones, that sounds like a hideous cluster f*uck. but I'm NOT a doctor, just saying.

I came to this post because I was wondering if women can use men's topical treatments?

Do SP berries help women?

Do supplements help?

I can't find any posts about a product I want to try and it seems to only for men.

Thanks,

why in the world would a woman with a hormone imbalance take a product which is for men's hormones, that sounds like a hideous cluster f*uck. but I'm NOT a doctor, just saying.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    women produce men's hormones too, just a insignificant amount
    if they overproduce men's hormones finestride might work but it's very rare for such a thing to happen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I came to this post because I was wondering if women can use men's topical treatments?
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    yes women can use men's 5% minoxidil but i do warn you high % minoxidil can cause hair to grow in other places other than your scalp
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Do SP berries help women?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Saw palmetto has been thought to help men's hairloss but from what i have read i don't think it helps anyone
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do supplements help?
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    supplements only work if you are Deficient, the vast majority of people with hairloss are not deficient enough to lose their hair from it,
    you can get a blood test and that would easily tell so it's worth a shot
    usually the ones to be tested for are:
    Ferritin (most doctors see a level 20-300 as normal whereas hairloss experts say you want at least 80 for healthy hair growth)
    zinc
    vitamin b12
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't find any posts about a product I want to try and it seems to only for men.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    i would be vary cautious because there are 1000 scams for every legitimate treatment
    the only 2 treatments i would see worthwhile are minoxidil(Rogaine/Regaine) and finesteride(propecia) , minoxidil works for women and propecia doesn't

i just thought of telling you, most the women have moved to www.heralopecia.com, do feel free to post here i do try to come and answer any questions you have since it's a bit of a ghost town here

I am 29, have PCOS, a Thyroid problem and a genetic predisposition to hardly any hair. Obviously there are many factors in my case and Nioxin did nothing for me. However, with PCOS the pill often helps. I was put on Diane- which is a little more expensive than most pills but it is supposed to lessen the testosterone levels which contribute to male pattern baldness in women. It did help a little... You might want to suggest speaking to her GP about a contraceptive pill to balance her hormones. Its worth a shot and also helps to ease the period pain!

Ladies 1 of the quickest things that's helped me was MSM internally. Nothing else helped quicker as for as internal things. I started at 300 to 500 mg daily. Now I've worked up to 2 to 3000 mg daily and instead of losing 180 hairs daily I lose 60 to 80 hairs daily thats 60 percent less. Also I use Nizoral 2% every 3 days which is lessening the loss to about 35 to 50 hairs daily.

I also take 25 mg of spiro but it normally takes 2 mos to kick in (ive taken it before) and it's only been 1 mo.

I also take saw palmetto 2 pills a day but I don't think its doing much.

For some garlic pills help 2 to 3 daily. But these ppl usually don't have androgenic alopecia.

Hi,

I've try nioxin and like it's already been write, this product only desguise. I would like to know if anyone have ever heard about claude bell canada ? This institute is selling a product call hair force one for hair loss, i would like to have some comments about this product or if you know any other shampoo to stop hair loss ? I know this is a old post but i would like to have suggestions!

Take care!

Also try Nioxin vits. They are great for growing hair. Doesn't fill in bald spots but does grow the hair you have in the sockets.

If the hairline thinning is inevitable, maybe your friend can opt to use lace wigs for the meantime. She can use such during the period wherein she is still treating herself. Lace wigs do not appear as wigs among those who are using it. Its hair lace fit well to the head that is not obvious that it is a wig.