Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast

Follica - Good News!

Got this of other forums. What is promising is that their procedure wont need to go through the FDA so no xx years of trials. Other good thing is that they got funding now.

http://www.puretechventures.com/content ... nPage=news

http://www.xconomy.com/2008/01/04/gone- ... treatment/

Re: Follica - Good News!

interesting, if the trials show good regrowth, we could see this in less then 2 years. lets pray its safe and shows good hair.

Good stuff, another treatment in the pipline. Lets hope it's good.

I't only a matter of time before one is the real deal.

This part of the second link is interesting:

The doctor can then use this newly created therapeutic window to inject drugs that push the cells to develop along one pathway or another and grow hair or skin. Zohar won’t reveal what drugs Follica is using, except to say that they are small molecule drugs normally taken orally for purposes with no relation to hair growth.
    I wonder what oral drug they are using.

Good post.

Speaking of which...I'm sure you've heard people say that if you shave your head more will grow and thicker. I know this doesn't work know with the advent of clippers, but maybe it did when they used a straight razor to do it and did it often lets say every two weeks, cause in essence you might of been removing the top layer of skin. Not old enough to know how a straight razor shaves. What do you guys think?
    The more you know...the more you realize you really know nothing.

I think shaving doesn't remove enough of the skin to regenerate the kind of regrowth that these articles are talking about. Not a bad question, but when they menion dermabrasion, they are talking about going pretty deep into the skin.

These articles touch on the idea/observation mentioned a few months ago, that skin wounds, if deep enough, stimulate hair growth. Actually, I forgot the "hole" in this idea, which is that even if this procedure does work, the hair that might grow in could be vulnerable to DHT just like the hairs before them that were lost to baldness in the first place.

Now I am wondering if the best approach would be a hybrid between this would-stimulus that Follica seems to be working on, and the HM procedure that Intercytex is working on. Do what ICX is doing with HM, which is taking dermal papilla cells from follicles of the back of the head, which are resistant to DHT, multiplying those cells in the lab, and before injecting them into the bald scalp/donor area, first use dermabrasion to remove a layer of the skin. Who knows, maybe this is what ICX is already doing, with their stumulation technique which proved more effective for the second group of cohorts in their current Phase II trials of TRC.

Bobs,

In an interview with Costarialis, Costarialis let slip that Arthur Klingman noted that he'd seen de noveau hairs show up in dermabrasion patients with acne scars.

Do you understand the signifigance of this statement?

Although Follica (and Costarialis) maintain that wounds have to be 5 mm or cm (I forget which) deep and have to be left open (even though he claimed dermabrasion might be a part of the treatment, and that wnt protiens (the "proprietary step) would have to be administered, apparently Klingman (still at the Penn dermatology department with Costarialis at 91 years of age) seen otherwise.

Ive held my tounge on this bit of info, but I suspect that if someone had some lithium chloride, which mimics wnt in human skin, and some sandpaper........................................a nd were willing to NOT DRESS the dermabrated area or cover it for a couple of weeks, they just might be able to "make" hair.

In experiments the scientist were able to have the mice always grow hair by wounding the critters skin and applying wnt-protiens AND they were able to make the mice have thicker hair by adding more wnt protiens. These mice were genetically HAIRLESS, so we know that they were not "rejuvinating" hairs.

My question: if someone did this and got hairs in the frontal cortex of the scalp, would those hairs be/not be MPB hairs? If the formed with an adult males level of testosterone, it would seem that they could be like donor hairs and more or less very tolerant of androgens...............................or would androgens suppress their formation at all? Questions, questions.

What I do know is this....................if dermabrasion "made" hair on acne scar victims like Klingman said it did, do we really need Follica's WNT protiens? Would wnt-mimetics like Lithium Chloride do?

At the very worst, if this thing only produces "permanent" hair in the wreath area (donor area in hairtransplant parlance), then a man could simply get hair transplants and then regenerate donor area's (or re-thicken them) with follica's treatment, thus "making" new good hair for the front.

Its interesting.

http://www.sciencefriday.com:80/newsbriefs/read/117

You can listen to Costarialis speak about Klingmant noticing the de noveau growth in dermabrasion patients in that link. You can also see a picture of hair growing white on a mouse (new hair isn't pigmented in the mice, lets hope its not the same way on humans or it would be wise to buy alot of stock in Clairol, but I digress). The article explains a great deal.

Parting note: The new Costarialis patent has microdermabrasin with a prostaglandin B-2 inhibitor. Green tea has been shown to inhibit prostaglandin B-2, and lithium chloride mimics wnt in the skin..............

Hmmm . . .

So who's got the lithium chloride?

Okay, seriously, I'm assuming there must be some reason not to run out & try this or someone already would have done so. Right?

Too funny... I'm laughing at myself, that is...

Step one in logic is to agree that growing new hair might be achieved by introducing a wound to the bald area of the scalp. Step two is to say "wait, if you do that, sure, new hair might grow, but it could be susceptible to DHT just like the hairs that were once there, but went away in the first place."

Step three, as introduced my Michael (and lost no me=), was this snippet:

At the very worst, if this thing only produces "permanent" hair in the wreath area (donor area in hairtransplant parlance), then a man could simply get hair transplants and then regenerate donor area's (or re-thicken them) with follica's treatment, thus "making" new good hair for the front.
    Thanks for chiming in.

-elnotsoguapowithouthair=(