Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Broccoli, Cauliflower May Help Cut Prostate Cancer

What do you guys think of this article? Could this be a link to slowing down hair loss? Broccoli and Cauliflower?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/ ... 4509.shtml

Here is an article from hairloss-reversible about broccohli and hair:

"Vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, and cauliflower produce a chemical when being digested that inhibits the action of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Leonard Bjeldanes, professor of nutritional science at UC Berkeley, and Gary Firestone, professor of molecular biology at the same institution, have been researching the anti-cancer properties of plant chemicals (phytochemicals). They found that vegetables such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts are rich in an indole called I3C. An indole is a decomposition product of proteins. The body converts this indole into diindolylmethane or simply DIM during digestion.

Further research confirmed that this DIM inhibits the action of DHT. It does this by binding to the same receptors within the cell that DHT uses. DHT, as Iím sure most visitors to this site are aware of, is involved in male pattern baldness. The research that Bjeldanes and Firestone are doing is mostly centered on prostate cancer and the proliferation of cancer cells, but Dr. Bjeldanes in an email to me wrote that he is now requesting funding to do research on male pattern baldness.

The reason that I stress the importance of getting nutrients from real food instead of from pills is that there are many unidentified nutritional factors in food, especially in fruits and vegetables. These phytochemicals that one doesnít get in pills may provide a great health benefit.

There is nothing conclusive yet in the research of Bjeldanes and Firestone indicating that broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables will benefit the hair follicles, but I loaded up on broccoli at the market today just in case. By the way, the best way to cook broccoli and other vegetables is to steam them. Boiling vegetables destroys over half the nutrients; steaming destroys hardly any."

so im thinking 1 blended morning shake of say brocoli coleflower and tomato juice every day? might that do something for our hair aside from turnin us into super healthy humans?
    why coudnt we start receding at the neckline?

Yes, it might do something for hair loss even though I'm not sure where the tomato juice came from..lol.

After reading michael's and liquids posts I decided to buy Now Foods, Indole-3-Carbinol with Flax Lignans. It can be found here: http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.asp ... d=636&at=0

I did some quick research on the additions to the I3C and found that it also contains LinumLife Complex which can help thinning hair according to what I found.

I also don't want to completely disregard what the poster said about eating the vegetables directly, but I really don't have time to cook for myself, so this is my best option.

haha tomato juice came becasue it can help mask the flavor of brocali which would be pretty nasty, but if u do a little research youl usee that blending the raw foods into a veggie shake is actually BETTER then just EATING THEM becasue there already liquified and the "vitamins and goodness" have been released and are easier to digest, eg u digest more of them. wish me luck on this guys, i live not to far from an all organic produce store im going to try a morning brocoli colliflour tomato juice shake each morning, if i can get the courage that is
    why coudnt we start receding at the neckline?

I think I read somewhere that drinking tomato juice can lower TGF-Beta1. So could be good for the hair... but I can't seem to find the study anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by BH 90 NWtwo 10
    so im thinking 1 blended morning shake of say brocoli coleflower and tomato juice every day? might that do something for our hair aside from turnin us into super healthy humans?
    I have to say, that sounds absolutely horrendous, maybe a soup would be better? I can't be the only one who gets a little nauseous at the idea of drinking a broccoli and cauliflower shake.

I'm very interested in diet and MPB. Seems to me that if you lower your cholesterol in your blood you automatically lower your DHT, because DHT needs cholesterol. Without it it doesn't exist. Japanese and their very unique eastern diet (until after World War 2) eat/ate tons of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and bits of soy (not soy isolate). After World War 2 their diet changed to a more western diet, they started developing MPB too. I say this change can be explained by total cholesterol in their blood. Vegetables and fruits sweep away cholesterol. Asians that eat a traditional eastern diet have very low total cholesterol in their blood compared to people in Europe and America. This is why a connection is found in heart diseease, prostate cancer and MPB. It's the cholesterol in the blood causing all 3.
    The science is there and it must be made known. We cannot let the status quo go unchallenged and watch our loved ones suffer unneccessarily. It is time to stand up, clear the air and take control of our health.

- T. Colin Campbell PhD

"For many years I have told the almost unbelievable, related the unreal, and showed it to be more than fact"

--Criswell

Quote Originally Posted by frailstar
    I'm very interested in diet and MPB. Seems to me that if you lower your cholesterol in your blood you automatically lower your DHT, because DHT needs cholesterol. Without it it doesn't exist. Japanese and their very unique eastern diet (until after World War 2) eat/ate tons of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and bits of soy (not soy isolate). After World War 2 their diet changed to a more western diet, they started developing MPB too. I say this change can be explained by total cholesterol in their blood. Vegetables and fruits sweep away cholesterol. Asians that eat a traditional eastern diet have very low total cholesterol in their blood compared to people in Europe and America. This is why a connection is found in heart diseease, prostate cancer and MPB. It's the cholesterol in the blood causing all 3.
    This makes sense on paper, but not in the real world. I see younger men with unbelievable low cholesterol levels due to statins in the clinic all the time and they are still balding. Your body makes cholesterol whether you change or diet or you take medication. It needs it to make cell membranes and other molecules like sex hormones.

Also, the percent of individuals with MPB in Asian countries is far higher than people might think. It was fairly high before those countries were westernized and it likely increased as a result of the influx of western genes during various stages of human history including WWII.