Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My health supplement advice for my 60 year old dad

Already got him taking DHEA (after DHEA test), green tea, and mult vitamin. Also told him to get MSN, chondroitin, and glucosamine for his joints.

Here is the rest of the list I'm sending him:

Get your homocystein levels checked. If high, take B vitamins, especially Folic Acid. Or just take the B vitamins and don't get checked.

You need to buy:

HMB
    * reduces muscle break down
    * 1g before working out and 1g before bed
    http://www.vitaplusonline.net/product_i ... -300-grams
    $22 for 300 grams

Vitamins K1 and K2
    * prevents calcification
    http://www.easycart.net/cgi-bin/BeyondA ... search.cgi
    $21 for 90 pills of 9mg of K1 and 1mg of K2

GABA
    * makes you sleep deeper and make HGH
    * 2g before bed
    $5.25 for 100 grams

Alpha lipoic acid
    * water/fat soluble anti-oxidant
    The 120 mixed capsules for $18 at the end of list is probably the best deal.
    ALA gets rid of Biotin, so supplement with Boitin.

Natural vitamin E mix, or CoQ10
    * anti-oxidants
    * Natural vitamin E is d, not dl tocopherols
    http://www.easycart.net/BeyondACenturyI ... amins.html
    250 Now Vitamin E 400 IU $17.25

Borageseed oil
    * has essential fatty acid GLA
    * 1-2 tea spoons per day
    http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/oils/herbal.html
    16oz for $36

Flaxseeds
    * has essential fatty acid LNA
    * One half tea spoon per day
    ----------------------------

Also sending him a prostate check kit, pomagranate extract, and informing him that milk thistle extract is the same price as green tea exract.
    Support instant round robbin voting (Condorcet), which elects the candidate who would win every head to head race. Next best is Approval voting, which lets you vote for your favorite, or two you like equally, in addition to the lessor of evils you think you have to vote for, so you don't split votes like the current voting system. The major parties will always have power if voters are afraid to vote for any other than the big lessor of evils.

Good list...

No Acetyl L-Carnitine?
    Bring Amber Lamps

oh, sorry about that. The ALA mix I suggested has it in it. I wish I had bought that. Right now I'm taking ALC bulk powder and smaller ALA pills.
    Support instant round robbin voting (Condorcet), which elects the candidate who would win every head to head race. Next best is Approval voting, which lets you vote for your favorite, or two you like equally, in addition to the lessor of evils you think you have to vote for, so you don't split votes like the current voting system. The major parties will always have power if voters are afraid to vote for any other than the big lessor of evils.

Make sure its MSM*

Not MSN

Methylsulfonylmethane

CCS what do you think of LEF's Life Extension Mix:

http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00934.html

Obviously way pricier than your conction but plenty of polys and other goodies.

I don't know if it has alpha lipoic acid, since that would taste sparky. But for a finanically established old guy who does not want to worry about designing a regimen, it is pretty easy, all around good stuff. I'm not going to buy it, though. To pricey.

my father started fish oil about a week ago. I told him to take 2-3 pills a day. He recently checked his blood pressure again. It was 135/90 a month ago when his doc him blood pressure meds. That was where it seemed to be stableized at after a few month, before which was 159.

Now it is 120/80. I think the fish oil did it. I told him to reduce his dose of one of the meds that is giving him side effects. The doctor previously prescribed him the lower dose, before finding it was not strong enough, so I doubt going back to the lower dose will be dangerous. He will keep checking his levels. I think one of the many reasons older people have high blood pressure is they are no longer able to synthesize as much of those fatty acids, so they have to get it from their diet. Older people have to get a lot of stuff from their diet.

Just as a precaution, you NEED to check your fish oil supplements to make sure that they are DISTILLED.

Otherwise, you may be giving yourself a daily wallop of mercury.

Check your EFAs, Omega 3, etc and make sure that your source states that the oil is distilled!
    Bring Amber Lamps

It says they are from anchovies, mackerel and sardines, which don't have much mercury to begin with. It also says it is purified to remove mercury, PCBs, and dioxins. Kroger brand. 180 1g capsules for $5.

Re: My health supplement advice for my 60 year old dad

Quote Originally Posted by collegechemistrystudent
    Alpha lipoic acid
    According to Immortal Hair (I never verified this), if you're taking ALA, you need to take biotin since ALA sucks up your biotin stores. AKA it'll make your hair look like crap if you don't supplement Biotin too.
    OMG, I looked at finasteride and my penis turned black! But you know what they say. Once you go black, you never go back...