Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zix

zix

is it a topical or oral?

if its topical then can we take it orally?

and whats the dosage?

thanks

Zix is an inexpensive, home-made topical that combines saw palmetto, zinc, b6, and ploysorbate 80 in a distilled water / ethyl alcohol base.

Like most products - zix is receiving mixed reviews as to its effectiveness.

From what I've seen / read over the years . . .

A few users consider it a god-send (regrew back all loss - definitely the minority);

some see maintenance;

some see maintenance and a bit of regrowth;

some receive no benefit whatsoever;

a small minority has an adverse reaction to the zinc content. But if you've been using zinc based shampoos, I'd think you'd be alright.

Because it is so inexpensive, has helped some, doesn't crap up your hair, is easy to use and makes your scalp feel and your hair look great - I always like to recommend it to people just starting down the hairloss prevention trail - if they feel they have some time to experiement w/ options.

I used it religiously for 2 years. Helped w/ maintenance, maybe w/ a slight bit of regroth - but then the benefits began to peter out.

Everything you need to know is available on the Zix website:
    http://www.advinfoprod.com/hair_loss_treatment_1.htm
    hair_tomorrow@usa.com ~ NW5A ~ Dut: 2x weekly; Proscar: 1 mg 4x weekly ~ Minomuck ~ SuperZix II ~ Copper Peptides ~ Shampoos: rotate Dr. Lee's Regrowth, "Thicker Fuller Hair" w/ caffeine, Biotin w/ TTO ~ Emu & Essential Oils ~ Varied OTC Supplements

Quote Originally Posted by hair_tomorrow
    Zix is an inexpensive, home-made topical that combines saw palmetto, zinc, b6, and ploysorbate 80 in a distilled water / ethyl alcohol base.

Like most products - zix is receiving mixed reviews as to its effectiveness.

From what I've seen / read over the years . . .

A few users consider it a god-send (regrew back all loss - definitely the minority);

some see maintenance;

some see maintenance and a bit of regrowth;

some receive no benefit whatsoever;

a small minority has an adverse reaction to the zinc content. But if you've been using zinc based shampoos, I'd think you'd be alright.

Because it is so inexpensive, has helped some, doesn't crap up your hair, is easy to use and makes your scalp feel and your hair look great - I always like to recommend it to people just starting down the hairloss prevention trail - if they feel they have some time to experiement w/ options.

I used it religiously for 2 years. Helped w/ maintenance, maybe w/ a slight bit of regroth - but then the benefits began to peter out.

Everything you need to know is available on the Zix website:
    http://www.advinfoprod.com/hair_loss_treatment_1.htm
    Nice post HT.
    zix is old school.

I smell such desperation. I wonder why the effects started to peter out for him. The balding process is very slow. It could take a few years to notice that it really was don't doing anything. Topical saw palmetto has a little bit of free fatty acids and some beta sis in it, but not nearly as much as revivogen. There is zinc shampoo made by head and shoulders, and studies show it does nothing for regrowing hair. You should stick to stuff that had invivo testing.
    Support instant round robbin voting (Condorcet), which elects the candidate who would win every head to head race. Next best is Approval voting, which lets you vote for your favorite, or two you like equally, in addition to the lessor of evils you think you have to vote for, so you don't split votes like the current voting system. The major parties will always have power if voters are afraid to vote for any other than the big lessor of evils.

I'm reminded of one rather annoying poster over at another forum. This gentleman was in his early 40s, african-american, and by his own admission was working on a George Costanza level of hairloss.

He started on zix (not super) and would come on board a few times a month and in CAPS yell out how zix (and he wasn't using anything else) had regrown all his hair.

I'm never surprised about what saves some people's hair. There's reports from those precious few where nizoral 2% alone had stopped their loss and provided full regrowth.

Wouldn't it be wonderful f someone tried zix first, saved a bundle of $$, and found out that that's all they needed?

I don't know why in my case it helped and then stopped helping - except to reiterate what I've said previously - that I might have already been too far gone :-) I'm glad I gave it it's honest shot though. At least now I won't been wondering "what if?"

Did I mention earlier that before using zix I was on revivogen and spiro for a full year - and my hair got worse during that time period? I'm not saying that someone should put zix before a more well established commercial product. But people should be free to keep their options open.

Haven't heard back from that poster from over the other place in a long time. Hopefully, zix is still working for him.
    hair_tomorrow@usa.com ~ NW5A ~ Dut: 2x weekly; Proscar: 1 mg 4x weekly ~ Minomuck ~ SuperZix II ~ Copper Peptides ~ Shampoos: rotate Dr. Lee's Regrowth, "Thicker Fuller Hair" w/ caffeine, Biotin w/ TTO ~ Emu & Essential Oils ~ Varied OTC Supplements

unless he had a bunch of pics with his face in them and could prove the order of the pics, I'd think the George Castanza guy is upset about his loss and hopes everyone else loses their hair.
    Support instant round robbin voting (Condorcet), which elects the candidate who would win every head to head race. Next best is Approval voting, which lets you vote for your favorite, or two you like equally, in addition to the lessor of evils you think you have to vote for, so you don't split votes like the current voting system. The major parties will always have power if voters are afraid to vote for any other than the big lessor of evils.

regrew from mult-year George Castanza bald, with zix.

OK, by what mechanism was this caused?

The saw palmetto? It is so weak, and just affects androgens. Castration will not regrow your hair. It just stops the loss.

The zink/B6? There are zink shampoos that do nothing for hair loss in human trials. The only tests supporting zink were invitro, and only affected androgens. Now copper/zink peptides would be good, but only the right ones. The other millions of combos do nothing. Dump b6 and retin-A in your minoxidil if you want. Cheap.

The biotin in the polysorbate 80? OK, nice, but I can use that in my other topicals or shampoo. I'd use it to dissolve free fatty acids and apple poly extract together.

I really think that guy just wants people to not get on fin so they go bald too. Spend $25 per month on Proscar 1/4 and save your hair. Visit my website to see other good stuff. Making your own apple poly is cheap, and so is spiro shampoo and 1% nizoral. According to studies, nizoral 2% is no better than 1% for hair loss.

I can't tell you why zix works well for some people and not others, nor can I say why it seemed to help me but then then stopped helping after the 2 year mark. A lot of guys besides me have good things to say about it.

I still feel comfortable in recommending it - but as always - your results may vary.

As far as the George Castanza character over at the other forum - he seemed sincere - even if he was annoying.

ok, but I don't know how you knew it stopped AT the 2 year mark. Sure that is not just when you noticed it had been getting worse? MPB is kind of slow, and easier to stop than to reverse.

No - at the time I was keeping a ritualistic obsessively close eye on my hair - pics every month without fail. When I saw things getting worse after 1 year on Revivogen and spiro (was also taking a boatload of supplements and ozbrew and I forget what else at the time) is when I made the switch from rev and spiro to zix.

I then went from a really bad NW5a to a really good 4a which I could only attribute to zix as it was the only change in my regimen.

Then after awhile, I thought I was outta the woods and safely on the comeback trail, and I got a cocky - and shouldv'e just stuck w/ what I was doing but instead dropped a few internals like apple polys and glisodin and some other stuff, substituted niz 2% for 1% (I've seen those studies too and in my case the 1% wasn't as effectve as the 2%) , dropped my nightly emu oil and essential oils, dropped the minox back to 1x daily and tricomin every other day.

after 5 months on my "regimen light" I was back to being a 5a all over over again. I guess I could have just gotten back to my orignal regimen - but instead just ramped up, went back to my old classsic standbys, except for zix - which I dropped for a dut/fin combo which I really wanted to put off as I do get all the classic sides.

So maybe it wasn't as much that zix stopped working as much as my screwing around w/ other aspects of my regimen. But I had a good run on it whle it lasted.

Except for the dut/fin sides, I'm pretty happy w/ my current regimen and although still a 5a - my hair's looking fuller, thicker and healthier. My new regimen is only 3 - 3.5 months old - so right now I'm attributing the better look to the revita and spctral dnc (and going back to D. Lee's regrowth shampo nstead of the niz 1%).