Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Can you cycle fin to maintain effectiveness?

Can you cycle fin to maintain effectiveness? I am just curious because I hear about how fin over 5 years loses effectiveness. I know with some supplements you must do it in a cycle so the body does not become used to it.

Cycling has not been proven to do squat. There is no way to know whether or not cycling would be good or bad so why risk it? But in all seriousness when it comes to your hair it is your experiment so do whatever makes you happy.

I think it's a good point actually. I don't know the answer but it would make an interesting clinical trial over a period of two years doing finasteride @ 4 months on and 4 months off etc.

If I were going to cycle treatments (which I did consider) I would use Finasteride 1mg for 24 months, followed by Dutasteride 0.5mg everyother day for 24 months, followed by a theoretical topical DHT inhibitor for 24 months. After which the cycle would start over, or if HM is available I would opt for that.
    Britannia to launch new Hairloss Shampoo range in July 2010! Ask me for details. No snake oils. No rip offs. UK only until US distributors found.

Also cheap UK based generic Finasteride available soon!

cycling? any basis for cycling? I wish to point out that no one knows how one develops propecia tolerance, It may be in 2 ways:-

1) Somehow the body itself develops a dose dependance tolerance for propecia

2) As u know, Propecia blocks only 70% of DHT and the remaining DHT which is left may buld up over time to levels potent enough for MPB effects revert to default level even though Propecia may still continue to inhibit DHT. And another thing, it is how fast/how much the body eleminates the remaining DHT build up over time which is not blocked by propecia thru other means ( sebum, sweat, Waste discharge) before it gets to the scalp.

I think the 2nd case is more possible because of the research fact which states propecia is not dose dependent. Usually the body develops a tolerance for dose dependent medications making the drug ineffective unless dosage is increased over time.

WE DON'T DEVELOP TOLERANCE TO FINASTERIDE. Anybody stupid enough (I'm not referring to any specific person in this thread, I'm just speaking in general) to "cycle" Propecia deserves what he gets, IMHO.

Bryan
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia
    If I were going to cycle treatments (which I did consider) I would use Finasteride 1mg for 24 months, followed by Dutasteride 0.5mg everyother day for 24 months, followed by a theoretical topical DHT inhibitor for 24 months. After which the cycle would start over, or if HM is available I would opt for that.
    What is theoretical topical DHT inhibitor? Who makes such a product? Only product I know that is DHT inhibitor is Propecia? Are there other products that
    are put on topically to inhibit DHT?
    I'am what I'am with hair or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4263
    Quote Originally Posted by Britannia
    What is theoretical topical DHT inhibitor?
    IF I KNEW THAT I WOULD WOULD BE VERY RICH INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Britannia to launch new Hairloss Shampoo range in July 2010! Ask me for details. No snake oils. No rip offs. UK only until US distributors found.

Also cheap UK based generic Finasteride available soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4263
    What is theoretical topical DHT inhibitor?
    The fatty acids in Revivogen are purported to be good topical 5a-reductase inhibitors, although their effects in humans need to be studied a lot more...

Bryan
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

So Bryan, If one were to suddenly notice that the good effects that one was experiencing on Propecia quickly seemed to dissipate is there anything that person could do?

Thats the position I'm in - 3 1/2 years on Propecia with just slow recession, very good maintenance. Last month or two my old greasy skin/scalp, and libido have returned. Worse still, my hair is thinning, which I have never experienced until all these things came back.

Is there any point in trying Dutasteride? Is that it? Have my genes dicated that my testosterone/DHT levels will stay this way forever no matter what?

Many thanks.

http://public.fotki.com/tomsmith316/tomsmith/