Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spironolactone

Spironolactone

I have androgenic alopecia, elevated testosterone and low progesterone. I have thinning in the front and a receding hairline .

My Endo prescribed oral Spiro 2 years ago, 100mg 2x day. I switched to Aldactone (same dosage) 1 year ago. I also take a multi vit with Iron and yesterday started on prometrium.

Within 2-3 months on Spiro shedding slowed dramatically. Slight regrowth was noticed from 6 months through 12 months. I added a multi vitamin with Iron and hair regrowth increased quite a bit over the next 6 months. I couldn't tolerate it so stopped taking it and lost quite a bit of the hair I had regrown. After a few months of trying no iron vitamins without success, I found a multi with a dosage of iron I could tolerate.

My thinning has improved dramatically. Not perfect but much better. I keep getting 'baby fuzz' around my hairline but no real progress. Actually the 'peaks' on each side of my forehead have improved giving me a 'straight' hairline again. My forehead / hairline started out fairly high, so now it's super high and it's really bothering me :cry: .

My progesterone levels are near 0, thus the need for prometrium. Endo tells me there is a slight chance that I could see improvement in my hair regrowth. Keeping my fingers crossed.

similar situation

your hair loss pattern sounds similar to mine -- a lot of hairline thinning over time. i kept thinking it would grow back, but it's not and now i'm just beginning to admit i have a problem and should do something about it. what would you say works better, the spiro or the iron? it would be so nice to just take vitamin supplements and skip the doctor's care, since i have no insurance.

The science really backs the Spironolactone more than the Multivitamin approach. You typically won't see results from multivitamins alone unless you are deficient in some mineral or other nutrient.

Note that she also said "a multivitaimin with iron" in it ... so we're not even talking a mega Iron dose kick in this case. Just a multivitamin that happens to contain iron.

I would place more bets on the Spiro doing the trick. Please ensure that you've read the Women's Guide to Hair Loss and had the appropriate bloodwork done as described in there:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/women

HLT
    Educating consumers to properly cateogorize treatments that have the highest probability of working... thereby optimizing their chances for success.

My doctor put me on Aldactone for similar reasons--thinning of the frontal hairline/temples and excessive shedding. I'm on 50 mg./day plus Yasmin (which has about the equivalent of 25 mg of spiro in it). I've noticed that my hairline is filling in, especially at the temples. My hair seems to be getting less fine (each hair more coarse and less wispy). My question for all of you is, should'nt my shedding slow down? I still shed 80-120 hairs per day. This site says that the normal shed is 50-80 hairs per day. Is that the bottom line and I'm still losing too much hair? I know this seems like a stupid question but I can't seem to get any opinion on it. Thanks so much. BB

bb - it is impossible to count the number of hairs that fall per day.

People *not* experiencing hair loss lose between 100 and 150 hairs per day. 90% of them fall when you are not even looking, when the wind blows, when you walk, when you lean over, etc. Please don't judge your hair loss status on your own personal fallen hair counts. Base it on what you see in the mirror.

I'll let the people with experience on aldactone reply to your other questions.

HLT
    Educating consumers to properly cateogorize treatments that have the highest probability of working... thereby optimizing their chances for success.

I'm wondering what's happened to all of you since you last posted? Haven't seen any updates.

Spironalactone and Pregnancy

Is Spironalatone safe to take when trying to conceive or even pregnant??

Rozzy,

Just saw another endo this am, a woman this time who knew a lot more about what she was talking about. I asked her about spiro and she said it *is not* safe to take when you're pregnant, it will cause abnormalities especially if your fetus is a boy.

She said it is a trade-off if you want to get pregnant, and you shouldn't have any in your system when you begin to try which could take up to 9 months to clean out.

Hope this helps!
    TD
    Current routine--

* Appreciate all the blessings in my life
    * Treat myself with loving kindness
    * 2% Nizoral
    * T-Sal
    * 50 mg zinc
    * off BCP

Re: Spironalactone and Pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by Rozzy252
    Is Spironalatone safe to take when trying to conceive or even pregnant??
    I was looking up this drug, and it doesn't look safe if pregnancy is in your future.. See: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/spiron_ids.htm#I

On another subject, is is safe to take something [Spironalactone] for hair loss that is primarily a medicine is a potassium-sparing diuretic used to treat congestive heart failure or high blood pressure? Won't it affect your heart?
    I was gonna ask my derm to prescribe, but got scared off, 'cause it's used for HIGH blood pressure!
    mariejoe
    low carb fan