No database selected
I want information on..
The newest women who have set up photo blogs in our network. Join today and share your story!
View all Women's Hair Loss Blogs
You are here: Home » News & Research » Hair Loss News Center » Four Year Alopecia Areata Totalis Universalis Study
Four Year Alopecia Areata Totalis Universalis StudyArticle by Dept. of Dermatology, Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea
A Clinical Study of Alopecia Areata (1996-2000)
YJ Kim, YS Chong, BI Ro.
Dept. of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea
Study Information and Results:
To evaluate the clinical manifestations and the effects of treatment we performed clinical study of 532 patients with alopecia areata (including Alopecia Totalis: 28 cases, Alopecia Universalis : 41 cases) who had visited the Dept. of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University during the 4 years from March, 1996 to February, 2000.
Results were as follows:
1) There was 290 male and 242 female patients being most prevalent in the third decade (32.5%) and the average was 26.8 years and 96 cases(18.0%) showed alopecia areata in children.
2) The most common site of predilection was the occipital region in both male and female, which were 167 cases (57.6%), 89 cases (36.8%) respectively.
3) Previous episodes of alopecia areata were observed in 153 cases (28.8%), and family history was observed in 48 cases (9.0%).
4) Associated diseases with alopecia areata were seborrheic dermatitis (174 cases), atopic dermatitis(16 cases), hepatitis (11 cases) urticaria (10 cases), diabetes mellitus (8 cases), etc in 301 cases (56.6%).
5) The effect of treatment modalities (DPCP, intralesional triamcinolone injection, and PUVA) revealed no difference based on increases in the size and number of bald areas.
Based on our findings, alopecia areata prominently developed in the third decade, and alopecia areata in children, previous history and severity of alopecia areata were increased. Therapeutic modalities on alopecia areata revealed no difference.